Splunk Search

Apply search field extraction to props.conf and/or transforms.conf so extraction done at index-time

gjlewis
Explorer

I have some BIG-IP data that I am ingesting as plain text files, as I can't directly connect to the BIG-IP servers due to security rules.

I have used regex field extractions to extract various data items at index-time, e.g. vs_pkts_in from props.conf:

EXTRACT-vs_pkts_in = VIRTUAL\s\w+\s+\w+\s+\w+\s+\|\s+\w+\s+\w+\s+\w+\s+\|\s+\(\w+,\s+\w+,\s+\w+,\s+\w+\)\s+=\s+\([\w.]+,\s+[\w.]+,\s+[\w.]+,\s+[\w.]+\)\s+\|\s+\(\w+,\w+\)\s+\w+\s+=\s+\((?P<vs_pkts_in>[\w.]+)

Unfortunately, this field value is recorded in various formats: 123, 1.23M, 1.23G and 1.23T. I have used the below search to convert the values into bytes, but so far I have been unable to work out how to apply this conversion at index-time, with the above extraction.

index=bigip 
| makemv vs_pkts_in 
| mvexpand vs_pkts_in 
| rex field=vs_pkts_in "^(?<Value>[\d.]*)(?<Unit>[\w.]*)$" 
| eval factor=case(Unit="B",1,Unit="K",1024,Unit="M",1024*1024,Unit="G",1024*1024*1024,Unit="T",1024*1024*1024*1024,true(),1) 
| eval vs_pkts_in_bytes=Value*factor

I have approx 20 fields that this applies to, hence why I'd like to apply the conversion at index-time rather than search-time, as my search queries are very large.

Any help or advice on how to do this would be appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

micahkemp
Champion

It's not possible to run eval or other such functions at index time. It's really only regex that is possible, and unfortunately unit conversion isn't something that would be possible with regex.

One option would be to use another process to modify your data prior to it being made available to Splunk. This could be a scripted or modular input, or even just a cron job. But unfortunately there is not a way to do that type of modification on standard splunk inputs at index time.

View solution in original post

micahkemp
Champion

It's not possible to run eval or other such functions at index time. It's really only regex that is possible, and unfortunately unit conversion isn't something that would be possible with regex.

One option would be to use another process to modify your data prior to it being made available to Splunk. This could be a scripted or modular input, or even just a cron job. But unfortunately there is not a way to do that type of modification on standard splunk inputs at index time.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...