Splunk Search

Appendcols or other options for searching a sub-search on port ranges

jlundtristate

Here is the example in the Splunk documentation:

specific.server | stats dc(userID) as totalUsers | appendcols [ search specific.server AND "text" | addinfo | where _time >= info_min_time AND _time <=info_max_time | stats count(field) as variableA ] | eval variableB = exact(variableA/totalUsers)

My need has a difference where the (appendcols [ search) is on a different target and the target is a lookup or inputlookup...

First search is the source, destination, protocol and destinationport seen in a given time period, the second search is a lookup table that has allowed traffic rules (source, destination, protocol, allowedport(s)), if the allowedport(s) is a range it can be 580-590.

search netactivity | stats count by source, destination, protocol, destinationport | appendcols [search inputlookup allowedrules | where Source=source and Destination=destination and Protocol=protocol | eval tmpport=(Port,"-"), portcnt=mvcount(tmpport) | eval startport=mvindex(tmpport,0), endport=if(portcnt>1, mvindex(tmpport,1), mvindex(tmpport,0)) | where startport<= destinationport AND endport>=destinationport | (table/stats/fields) Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, ApprovedBy ] | table source, destination, protocol, destinationport, Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, ApprovedBy

For the second search, I am trying to return the ApprovedBy field most importantly, but for validation a testing purposes, having the information from the rule that is being found, is beneficial. So I have tried the table, stats and fields clauses none of which has returned any values. My results are just the fields from the initial netactivity file.

I settled on trying to get the appendcols to work as I read the documentation, I believe it is the correct option. Lookup tables don't let me do a where clause and if all the allowed rules were a 1-1 relationship on the port (instead of ranges) maybe that would work better, but the port ranges rule out that option. Even if the allowed rules table was recreated to have a start and end port, lookup doesn't all for <= or >= in the clause. I also looked at join, but again the port range being a single port or a range of ports makes joining by an individual field impossible.

I figured this would have been a easy search, but I didn't find an example of anyone doing this. If anyone has implemented something along these lines, I would appreciated their insight.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Jason

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

search netactivity | stats count by source, destination, protocol, destinationport 
| join type=left source, destination, protocol, destinationport 
    [ | inputlookup allowedrules | eval Port=split(Port,"-") 
| eval s=tonumber(mvindex(Port,0))| eval e=tonumber(mvindex(Port,1))
| eval destinationport=mvrange(s,e+1,1) | mvexpand destinationport
| table Source Destination Protocol destinationport ApprovedBy 
| rename Source as source Destination as destination Protocol as protocol ]

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jlundtristate

Thanks somesoni2, that worked great, I didn't think join was the answer, but you proved it is... :-}

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

search netactivity | stats count by source, destination, protocol, destinationport 
| join type=left source, destination, protocol, destinationport 
    [ | inputlookup allowedrules | eval Port=split(Port,"-") 
| eval s=tonumber(mvindex(Port,0))| eval e=tonumber(mvindex(Port,1))
| eval destinationport=mvrange(s,e+1,1) | mvexpand destinationport
| table Source Destination Protocol destinationport ApprovedBy 
| rename Source as source Destination as destination Protocol as protocol ]
0 Karma

jlundtristate

somesoni2, is there a limit to the number of entries in the join? for the high ports range 49152-65535, because we have a number of source and destination types. I'm afraid that the join/inputlookup is growing too large for the join to match in some instances. Our inputlookup allowedrules file has over 10,000 entries... so is there a way to pass and extra filter or two from the netactivity search to the inputlookup allowed rules

something like [| inputlookup allowed rules | search Port=(destinationport from the netactivity search) |...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...