Splunk Search

Append causing dashboard panels to use colours for max ranges

benhooper
Communicator

In my dashboard, I have "Alerts Open" timechart single value panels with colour ranges that are using the following searches:

index="<client>" case_id | dedup 1 case_id sortby -_time | search (status=new OR status=under_investigation) | timechart sum(alert_count) as alert_count_total | addcoltotals

This works fine in all aspects when there are actually alerts open.

However, I found that when no alerts are open then it simply displays "No results found" but I wanted it to stay on 0. I tried using  "if(isnull" and "fillnull" neither of which worked but I found that using the following search resolves this:

index="<client>" case_id | dedup 1 case_id sortby -_time | search (status=new OR status=under_investigation) | timechart sum(alert_count) as alert_count_total | append [| stats count as alert_count] | addcoltotals

However, a side of that is that the panels are now using the colours for the max ranges, even though the value is 0 and the max ranges are, for example, "from 100 to max". This can be seen below.

2020-08-10 15-08-01 - Search__Splunk_8.0.5_-_Google_Chrome.png

For some reason, it seems that it's the timechart that's causing this because removing it uses the correct colours. This can be seen below.

2020-08-10 15-11-19 - Search__Splunk_8.0.5_-_Google_Chrome.png

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

benhooper
Communicator

I found:

1. That it was actually the lack of events that was causing this.
  2. https://community.splunk.com/t5/Archive/Evaluate-if-there-are-no-search-results-or-events-for-a-fiel... which recommended using makeresults so I replaced "append [| stats count as alert_count]" with "append [| makeresults | eval alert_count_total = 0]" which resolved the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

benhooper
Communicator

I found:

1. That it was actually the lack of events that was causing this.
  2. https://community.splunk.com/t5/Archive/Evaluate-if-there-are-no-search-results-or-events-for-a-fiel... which recommended using makeresults so I replaced "append [| stats count as alert_count]" with "append [| makeresults | eval alert_count_total = 0]" which resolved the problem.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...