Splunk Search

Anyway to make tags.conf case insensitive?

jodros
Builder

We use tags frequently in our environment. I recently added some new servers with differing case for their host names. I tried to create tags with all lowercase characters, but the tags would never show. Once I used the exact case, the tags worked fine. However this presents issues. I would like to make the tags.conf be case insensitive. Is there a way to accomplish this without adding multiple entries in all various case possibilities?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

AFAIK, there is no way to do this.

I suggest that you use capitalization consistently and train your users, because this same issue will come up in other contexts, not just tags. Here's the deal:

The Splunk search comand is case insensitive for search terms.

All names in Splunk are case sensitive - field names, eventtype names, tag names, saved search names, etc.

Most Splunk commands are case-sensitive. A command that often trips up Splunk users is the where command. People assume that where is like search - but where is case-sensitive and doesn't support wildcards.

So I don't mean to be flip, but creating a bunch of extra tags to avoid this problem -- IMO that won't really help in the end.

(BTW, you can do a case-insensitive lookup. But that's an exception.)

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

AFAIK, there is no way to do this.

I suggest that you use capitalization consistently and train your users, because this same issue will come up in other contexts, not just tags. Here's the deal:

The Splunk search comand is case insensitive for search terms.

All names in Splunk are case sensitive - field names, eventtype names, tag names, saved search names, etc.

Most Splunk commands are case-sensitive. A command that often trips up Splunk users is the where command. People assume that where is like search - but where is case-sensitive and doesn't support wildcards.

So I don't mean to be flip, but creating a bunch of extra tags to avoid this problem -- IMO that won't really help in the end.

(BTW, you can do a case-insensitive lookup. But that's an exception.)

jcorcoran508
Path Finder

just updating the where command now supports the " like %" wild card.  

0 Karma

jodros
Builder

How are you using a lookup for tagging hostnames?

0 Karma

jodros
Builder

Thanks lguinn. I knew there was a way of accomplishing this with the case_sensitive_match = false in the transforms.conf for lookups. Was hoping there was something similar for tags.conf. I will try to educate users, but I am sure there will be some duplicate entries taking into account various case combinations.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

BTW, if you are tagging host names, I would consider using a lookup table instead. Hostnames are difficult because some operating systems and devices are case-sensitive and others are not. So it is not uncommon to get a mix of names for same hosts.

IMO, a lookup table is easier to maintain for host names - and it can be set to do a case-insensitive lookup, automatically. More info here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Knowledge/Aboutlookupsandfieldactions

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...