Splunk Search

Another "DateParserVerbose - Failed to parse timestamp" warning

_smp_
Builder

I'm getting "DateParserVerbose - Failed to parse timestamp" from a syslog source. I'm a pretty inexperienced Splunk user, but the TIME_FORMAT value is %b %d %H:%M:%S, which looks right to me??? I want to parse the timestamp at the beginning of the message.

Here's a sample message:

Apr 21 15:38:31 10.144.15.220 device01: *osapiBsnTimer: Apr 21 15:38:31.784: #NFA_V9-3-FAIL_SEND_MSG: [PS] nfa_timer.c:67 The system has failed to Send Msg to the NetFlow Task - One Second Timer Message could not be sent. Return Code (1)

Here's the warning:

04-21-2016 15:38:31.587 +0200 WARN DateParserVerbose - Failed to parse timestamp. Defaulting to timestamp of previous event (Thu Apr 21 15:38:31 2016). Context: source::udp:3514|host::10.144.15.220|syslog|

And here's the sourcetype definition:

[syslog]
ANNOTATE_PUNCT = True
AUTO_KV_JSON = true
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = 
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE = True
CHARSET = UTF-8
DATETIME_CONFIG = 
HEADER_MODE = 
LEARN_SOURCETYPE = true
LINE_BREAKER_LOOKBEHIND = 100
MAX_DAYS_AGO = 2000
MAX_DAYS_HENCE = 2
MAX_DIFF_SECS_AGO = 3600
MAX_DIFF_SECS_HENCE = 604800
MAX_EVENTS = 256
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 32
MUST_BREAK_AFTER = 
MUST_NOT_BREAK_AFTER = 
MUST_NOT_BREAK_BEFORE = 
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
REPORT-syslog = syslog-extractions
SEGMENTATION = indexing
SEGMENTATION-all = full
SEGMENTATION-inner = inner
SEGMENTATION-outer = outer
SEGMENTATION-raw = none
SEGMENTATION-standard = standard
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = False
TIME_FORMAT = %b %d %H:%M:%S
TIME_PREFIX = ^
TRANSFORMS = syslog-host
TRUNCATE = 10000
category = Operating System
description = Output produced by many syslog daemons, as described in RFC3164 by the IETF
detect_trailing_nulls = false
disabled = false
maxDist = 3
priority = 
pulldown_type = true
sourcetype = 

petercow
Path Finder

If you want to use the 'first' timestamp as your MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD to a smaller value.

_smp_
Builder

Thanks for the response, but the second timestamp begins at byte #56. Shouldn't Splunk ignore it?

0 Karma

petercow
Path Finder

That's fine. I was guessing you wanted to use the '2nd' time-stamp, but you didn't specify.

Your TIME_PREFIX = ^ tells Splunk that the timestamp is immediately at the beginning of the event. Make a regex that it starts at the 2nd.

0 Karma

_smp_
Builder

Ah, great point. I'm sorry I didn't include that obvious detail. I want to use the timestamp at the beginning of the message. I'll fix my original post.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...