Splunk Search

All fields are duplicate & MV. Needs to be single value.

ryhluc01
Communicator

Good Morning,

I need to do a stat avg on the time difference between results. Problem is all of my fields are both duplicate and multi-value (MV).
So,
1) Will the fact that every field is duplicate & MV affect the avg?
2) How can I efficiently make all of the data show up as a single field? This has to be within my search query because its a production environment and I do not have access to change how the data coming in.

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Your data is probably JSON and you are probably creating index-time fields because you are using INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json. This is all fine but when you do that, you need to make sure that you set KV_MODE = none for your sourcetype or you will get a 2nd search-time field extraction/creation which will duplicate and multi-value everything.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Your data is probably JSON and you are probably creating index-time fields because you are using INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json. This is all fine but when you do that, you need to make sure that you set KV_MODE = none for your sourcetype or you will get a 2nd search-time field extraction/creation which will duplicate and multi-value everything.

0 Karma

ryhluc01
Communicator

Thanks @woodcock where would I find this to be able to edit it?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It should be in props.conf on your Search Head. You need CLI (no GUI for this).

0 Karma

ryhluc01
Communicator

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...