Splunk Search

Alerting on unique field occurrence

mzammit

Hi,

I'm trying to implement a search which raises alerts based on events with unique, but as of yet unknown keys within a given timeframe.  For example, if my indexer records the following six events:

11:59:10.000 Error TestClass with ID 902228 has failed with reason... 
11:59:00.000 Error TestClass with ID 8767 has failed with reason...
11:34:32.000 Error TestClass with ID 653 has failed with reason...
11:31:10.000 Error TestClass with ID 902228 has failed with reason...
11:29:00.000 Error TestClass with ID 3652 has failed with reason...
11:25:20.000 Error TestClass with ID 902228 has failed with reason...

I'd like to raise an alert email in real-time for each event which has a unique ID but throttle, over say a 15 minute time period.  So essentially the above event list will generate 5 alert emails i.e. 902228 generates an email at 11:25:20.000 and the following event with the same ID gets skipped and every other event generates an email (so we get 5 emails).

I've thought about/tried using a lookup but am finding it hard going trying to get the syntax right.

Is this the best way?  I'd be grateful if anyone could offer some advice or a potential solution.

0 Karma

kallu
Communicator

Sounds like Splunk alert throttling?
Extract TestClass ID -field, if you haven't done that already.

... | rex field=_raw "TestClass with ID (?<TestClassID>\d*)"

And now you can set throttling on TestClassID like shown in here

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/User/SchedulingSavedSearches#Define_alerts_that_t...

(scroll down to "Set up throttling for a per-result alert")

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...