Splunk Search

Adding sparklines to chart

cjenning
Explorer

Hi, I have a chart that is a count of alerts by hostname and severity. I'd like to add a column that is a sparkline of alerts by time for each host. Here is my search and a screenshot of my chart with desired outcome. Help please?

index=techmon sourcetype="techmon_hpom_messages_history" | chart count by NODE_NAME,SEVERITY | addTOTALS labelfield=SEVERITY label=Total| sort -Total| head 20

Apparently need more splunk karma to post an attachment or a link so I will type out the chart here:

NODE_NAME | Critical | Major | Minor | Normal | Warning | Total |

Host 1 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 5 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 3 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 10 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 0 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 8 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 36 |
Host 2 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 1 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 3 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 6 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 3 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 8 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 19 |
Host 3 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 2 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 6 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 0 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 5 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 2 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | 15 |

I want to add Sparkline after total that will graph the alerts over time. The field for the time is LOCAL_RECEIVING_TIME.

Thanks folks

Tags (2)

jimodonald
Contributor

You need to add the sparkline function to the chart command. See below.

index=techmon sourcetype="techmon_hpom_messages_history" | chart sparkline count by NODE_NAME,SEVERITY | addTOTALS labelfield=SEVERITY label=Total| sort -Total| head 20
0 Karma

cjenning
Explorer

Thanks, but is there a way to do this so the sparklines are charted only by NODE_NAME while the count is by NODE_NAME and SEVERITY? In your solution I end up with 5 columns of sparklines.

0 Karma

jimodonald
Contributor

Which field do you want to be used for the sparkline?

BTW, the docs describe how to do this pretty well.
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.3/Search/AddSparklinestoSearchResults

0 Karma

cjenning
Explorer

I want the sparkline to be used for the total column. I tried going through that documentation but it didn't help me with this problem. Anyway I formulate my search I either get 5 sparklines or a chart way off from what I'm looking for with 1 broken sparkline.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...