Splunk Search

Add Filter Query if Field Exists

lmattar
Engager

Hi. I already have a Splunk query that we use in a production environment. We are now adding a new field that we'd like to filter on. However, we want to remain backwards compatible with the query so we can still view the data before adding this new field. Here's sort of what I'd like:

Current:

index=prod sourcetype="prod" year="2019" jobId="21766782-c79d-40c3-a9bf-a3b7269ef557"

With New Field:

index=prod sourcetype="prod" year="2019" jobId="21766782-c79d-40c3-a9bf-a3b7269ef557" if(exists(type), type="MY_TYPE", "")

I know this isn't the right syntax, but essentially I want to filter on that field if it exists in the data. If it doesn't, I want it to exclude it (basically use the old query).

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
Legend

Try

index=prod sourcetype="prod" year="2019" jobId="21766782-c79d-40c3-a9bf-a3b7269ef557" 
|where  (type="MY_TYPE" OR isnull(type))
Happy Splunking!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

Try

|where  (type="MY_TYPE" OR isnull(type))
Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

lmattar
Engager

This worked! Thank you very much!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...