Splunk Search

Accuracy of metadata command in large environments?

lguinn2
Legend

The manual entry for the metadata command says "...in environments with large numbers of values per category, the data might not be complete. This is intentional and allows the metadata command to operate within reasonable time and memory usage."

I know that the metadata command is reading the data on sourcetypes, hosts and sources that is stored within each bucket, rather than reading the individual events. I also think that the metadata command ignores the time range picker.

Does anyone know what "large numbers of values per category" actually means? Would the command be accurate for 1000 sourcetypes? Or is it really related to the number of buckets that must be retrieved?

If the metadata command works like search, then it would process buckets in reverse time sequence (newest to oldest) - so even if the data was incomplete, the lastTime and recentTime should be accurate for the objects reported. I guess that older objects, which had not been updated recently, might be missed. Is this true, or did I just make up something that sounds logical?

Finally, would restricting the metadata command to a single index help? In other words, would the results be more likely to be complete if metadata does not have as many indexes to search?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use | tstats min(_time) as firstTime max(_time) as lastTime max(_indextime) as recentTime count by host instead.

Will be accurate-to-the-timerange and work across large configurations/cardinalities. Might be a bit slower though, and doesn't do real-time.

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

Based on other answers and comments, I wonder if the timerange picker is identifying the buckets, but the metadata command is using the *.data files to compile the results. The *.data files could have data outside the timerange, and so the results might exceed the timerange... Or something like that.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think metadata will touch every bucket that has events within the time range, and then grab the entire bucket's data. In a reasonably small environment you could verify that using dbinspect.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Are you sure, @martin_mueller? I think it should touch every bucket in the time range, but it shouldn't need to grab the entire bucket's data - the metadata that the command needs is all in Hosts.data and Sources.data and Sourcetypes.data.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yeah, I'm sure. The metadata within one bucket has no timeseries data, so it's takeall or nothing.

You can verify this by running metadata over the last minute, and then comparing the counts with the hot buckets returned by dbinspect.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Possible alternate way to solve my problem is to use metasearch instead, although it may be slower...

cf. this answer

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

So I've been awarding points for strong answers and good ideas. I've almost given up on truly understanding how metadata works - at some point maybe I will catch a Splunk engineer and ask.

But the bounty is still available if you have the ultimate answer!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...