Splunk Search

Accessing fields from specific events in a transaction

jpanderson
Path Finder

I have logs which contain a value, time_taken. I want to work out the latency of entire transactions by summing the time_taken from each. I'm using transaction to pull these related events into one event. I cannot use the "duration" field generated by the transaction command, as this is generated from the time difference of the events, I want to sum the time_taken values from each event so the time taken of the second event is not ignored.

A single now look like this (they are in json format):

{"field1": "1", "field2": "2", ...... ,"time_taken":"0:00:01.404100"}
{"field1": "5", "field2": "2", ...... ,"time_taken":"0:00:00.663664"}

The "time_taken" fields are both being picked up, so I have multiple time_taken fields for each event.

Is there a simple way to access fields from each event, specifically, I want to create a new field, summing the time_taken fields, for each event (note that some of the events have 1 event and some have more than 2). Is this possible?

Many thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You need to convert your time_taken field to seconds and then use "stats sum(time_taken), list(field1) as field1, ..., list(fieldN) as fieldN by YOUR_TRANSACTION_UNIQUE_ID"

Note there's a dur2sec function but it won't work in your case as you also have microseconds.

In summary, something like:

yoursearchhere
| yourtransactionhere
| rex field=time_taken "(?<H>\d{1,2}):(?<M>\d{2}):(?<S>\d{2})\.(?<uS>\d{6})"
| eval time_taken_seconds = 
    tonumber(H)*3600 + 
    tonumber(M)*60 + 
    tonumber(S) + 
    tonumber("0.".uS)
| stats sum(time_taken_seconds) as total_time_taken_seconds, 
    list(field1) as field1, ..., 
    list(fieldN) as fieldN 
    by YOUR_TRANSACTION_UNIQUE_ID

Let me know if that helps.

View solution in original post

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You need to convert your time_taken field to seconds and then use "stats sum(time_taken), list(field1) as field1, ..., list(fieldN) as fieldN by YOUR_TRANSACTION_UNIQUE_ID"

Note there's a dur2sec function but it won't work in your case as you also have microseconds.

In summary, something like:

yoursearchhere
| yourtransactionhere
| eval time_taken_seconds = 
    tonumber(H)*3600 + 
    tonumber(M)*60 + 
    tonumber(S) + 
    tonumber("0.".uS)
| stats sum(time_taken_seconds) as total_time_taken_seconds, 
    list(field1) as field1, ..., 
    list(fieldN) as fieldN 
    by YOUR_TRANSACTION_UNIQUE_ID

Let me know if that helps.

jpanderson
Path Finder

I've got the following code

mysearch...
| rex field=time_taken "(?\d{1,2}):(?\d{2}):(?\d{2}).(?\d{6})"
| eval transaction_time = tonumber(H)*3600 + tonumber(M)*60 + tonumber(S) + tonumber("0.".uS)
| stats sum(transaction_time) by DutyId

It's correctly parsing the H, M, S, uS fields, however the eval command is creating only one time value, wierdly!

0 Karma

jpanderson
Path Finder

Ok I got it working, I had to use the rex command before running the transaction.

Thanks!

0 Karma

javiergn
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try using mvexpand:

mysearch...
| mvexpand time_taken
| eval transaction_time = tonumber(H)*3600 + tonumber(M)*60 + tonumber(S) + tonumber("0.".uS)
| stats sum(transaction_time) by DutyId
0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just to know, do you really need transaction to collect these events together and then sum the values? If you have a common field (you must be using it for transaction to correlate events - assume it's field1), then simple stats should work for you

your search + field extractions from json| stats sum(time_taken) by field1

If you still want to use transaction use streamstats to create unique ids and then sum it,

transaction field1 and other options| streamstats count AS event_id| stats sum(time_taken) by event_id

This should create unique id for your each transaction and then sum the values based on this unique id

Happy Splunking!

gyslainlatsa
Motivator

hi jpanderson,

try like this:

uses the regular expression to extract the values that appear in your time_taken events and saves them in a new field. After, you can now work with the new field that will contain all values of time_taken.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...