Splunk Search

A search that does not produce results for "All time (real-time)" but does for "Today"

neiljpeterson
Communicator

It is a very simple search for a string. (Account lock outs to be precise) and as worked in the past. But just recently stopped working. (We upgraded to 6.1.1 yesterday incidentally)

The event is there. I can see it if I search for other terms, and I can see it if I search "Today" but when I search "All time (real-time)" it does not come up.

This is some weird behavior. I am not sure how to investigate it from here. I would really like to know why results are not being returned.

More info

I ran across this documentation about real time searches:

Documentation > Splunk Enterprise > Search Manual > Expected performance and known limitations of re...

"Real-time search matches events that have arrived at the port but have not been persisted to disk."

This however does not seem to square with the results from a real time search of index=_internal | stats earliest(_time) as earliest | eval earliest=strftime(earliest, "%T") When running this search the earliest is aways a time near now minus the time range of the real time search. Obviously these results have been written to the disk, but are also returned in a real time search.

Am I misunderstanding the documentation?

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

An all-time real-time search is different from a real-time search with a time-frame defined in that it does not back-fill. Instead, an all-time real-time search will show events that occur after you started the search.

Try defining a time-range for your real-time search and it should begin matching events.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...