Splunk SOAR (f.k.a. Phantom)

Splunk Phantom Error Reporting- How to monitor the execution of a Phantom Playbook

ss008i
Engager

Hello,

I am trying to find a native solution in order to monitor the execution of a Phantom Playbook. In case one of the actions fail, or a specific message/data is returned by a custom function, does anyone a possibility to make a general/native configuration, so that an admin will receive an instant email message with the error/playbook that ran/ etc?

I am aware of the api 'error' and 'discontinue' methods, but it will mean to add this kind of checks at each step of the playbook ...

Greatly appreciate your ideas!

0 Karma
1 Solution

phanTom
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@ss008i 

If you need instant then you will need to bake it into the playbook logic by checking the "status" output in a decision block after the action/function (you need to configure status output in function), and then "do something" if it fails. Worth doing for most actions anyway as best practise although I appreciate it may be time consuming, it's worth it in the long run. 

Another option is to have a playbook scheduled to run every x mins that uses REST to search for all action failures and then provide a report. 

action_run with filtering (/rest/action_run?_filter_status="failed") could be used for actions. Also consider a time and page limit on the rest call so you don't dedup. Options for filtering are here: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SOARonprem/5.3.2/PlatformAPI/RESTQueryData 

action run REST docs: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SOARonprem/5.3.2/PlatformAPI/RESTRunAction 

Custom functions are a bit harder as they don't report a status per playbook run so really you would need to handle the status output in a playbook for them, or turn them into app actions so the status output can be used. 

If this helped, please feel free to add karma and/or mark as a solution. 

Happy SOARing!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

phanTom
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@ss008i 

If you need instant then you will need to bake it into the playbook logic by checking the "status" output in a decision block after the action/function (you need to configure status output in function), and then "do something" if it fails. Worth doing for most actions anyway as best practise although I appreciate it may be time consuming, it's worth it in the long run. 

Another option is to have a playbook scheduled to run every x mins that uses REST to search for all action failures and then provide a report. 

action_run with filtering (/rest/action_run?_filter_status="failed") could be used for actions. Also consider a time and page limit on the rest call so you don't dedup. Options for filtering are here: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SOARonprem/5.3.2/PlatformAPI/RESTQueryData 

action run REST docs: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SOARonprem/5.3.2/PlatformAPI/RESTRunAction 

Custom functions are a bit harder as they don't report a status per playbook run so really you would need to handle the status output in a playbook for them, or turn them into app actions so the status output can be used. 

If this helped, please feel free to add karma and/or mark as a solution. 

Happy SOARing!

0 Karma

ss008i
Engager

Thank you @phanTom - looks pretty much in line with what I expected - I will go with a hybrid version and use both sides of the solutions you mentioned. Regards

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...