Splunk SOAR (f.k.a. Phantom)

Replacement Characters appearing in emails sent from Splunk SMTP APP

TheGovernor21
Engager

My team uses playbooks to automate email alerts in Phantom. Some playbooks have been randomly sending emails with the replacement character (a black diamond with a white question mark). Other times the emails are working fine and have normal text. Has anyone had this issue in the past? If so, how did you resolve it? 

I was thinking of updating the Splunk SMTP App in Phantom.

Thanks for the help!

0 Karma

victor_menezes
Path Finder

It looks like you're sending HTML emails and that black diamont is basically charset mismatch between source and destination (the string send to the body VS the email server I mean), so in those emails you have that character displayed, that means the playbook got a string that has special encoded characters on that and it don't match the expected encoding from your mail server.

If you don't need HTML, just send it as text (send rawemail action).

If you do need HTML emails (send htmlemail action), try to change the encoding asset configuration flag to true/false depending if you are using unicode characters or not.

Finally you can also add the charset at the header of your HTML message body if you are for sure using HTML code in text.

Check that and see if you have any different behavior

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...