Splunk SOAR (f.k.a. Phantom)

Phantom: Asset environment variables

nhammSplunk
Explorer

Once the asset environment variables have been created (mySpecificKey -> mySpecificValue), how do I access these values inside a playbook? $ENV{'mySpecificKey'} does not seem to work.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)

rplas
Explorer

Asset environment variables are meant to override the global environment variables set for all apps. These are primarily used to designate proxy configurations.

Relevant doc pages:

0 Karma

nhammSplunk
Explorer

Thank you for the response, but this doesn't answer my question. If an Environment Variable is configured in an asset, how does that Environment Variable get called/reference in a playbook?

mzambrana123
Explorer

Is there a clear answer for this? My use case is the following. 

I want to call in an authentication header from the environment variable. Is this possible and if so how. There is not clear description here and the reference docs are not helpful. 

Thanks, 

willhart802
Engager

I have the exact same question. I want a place to store a password or API key and retrieve it. I don't want to store it in custom code or in the playbook.

This seems like a perfect place to put it.

sam_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If the values to store aren't particularly sensitive you may consider them in a custom list.

I _believe_ the environment variables are only visible to the App itself, not the playbook executing the app. In other words, I don't believe its possible to have the playbook extract some custom environment variable that's configured within the app settings and then pass it to the app. Instead the App would have to know to use that variable.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...