Explorer

Hello - I'm trying to pass a dictionary into a format code block:

for example:
my_dict = {"hello":"world", "foo":"bar"}

and in the format code block i have:

Contents of dictionary:
{0}

where 0 is mycodeblockname:custom_function:my_dict.hello

and I receive a "error in expanding mycodeblockname:custom_function:my_dict.hello" message. I also tried using :, 0.hello, etc and it hasnt worked. Any suggestions are appreciated. i know that if I pass a dictionary or list from an action block then this works but a custom function doesnt work from what i can see

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

phanTom
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@nongingerale there are a few possibilities why this might not be working. I tested it and it worked as expected for me so here is how i tested it:

Created a CF with a dict output:

phanTom_0-1681978224049.png

Built a scratch playbook to use the CF:

phanTom_1-1681978299997.png

Then outputted the value to a comment:

phanTom_2-1681978336120.png

Hopefully something in there may help point out the issue.

-- If this solved your issue please mark as a solution for others. Happy SOARing --

View solution in original post

phanTom
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@nongingerale yeah the Code Blocks have never been able to have nested JSON understood downstream. Only the new Custom Functions can as it can be a way to get around the limit of 10 outputs. 

Thanks for marking as a solution! 

0 Karma

phanTom
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@nongingerale there are a few possibilities why this might not be working. I tested it and it worked as expected for me so here is how i tested it:

Created a CF with a dict output:

phanTom_0-1681978224049.png

Built a scratch playbook to use the CF:

phanTom_1-1681978299997.png

Then outputted the value to a comment:

phanTom_2-1681978336120.png

Hopefully something in there may help point out the issue.

-- If this solved your issue please mark as a solution for others. Happy SOARing --

nongingerale
Explorer

thanks! that worked once i created a custom function (as opposed to passing the dictionary from a custom code block).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...