Splunk SOAR (f.k.a. Phantom)

Does a Lock for Playbooks function exist?

stauff
Explorer

Hello.  I have a playbook that must be the only running instance of that playbook.  I can't seem to find any "lock" functionality to facilitate this.  Does anyone know if any sort of lock functionality exists out of the box?  Thanks in advance!

Labels (2)
0 Karma

phantom_mhike
Path Finder

I know this is old, but I solved this with a custom app to short circuit a playbook. The app checks a list to see if the identifiers for the current event have already been seen. If it is already in the list then it outputs a True and the playbook can be halted and handled as a duplicate. If it hasnt been seen before, the app outputs false and the playbook can proceed as the first instance of this event ingested. 

This all works because apps do have locks. If the app is set to lock and only have one concurrent run, then adding this check as the first step in the playbook will break the race condition you are dealing with. 

The only significant downside is that this will effectively turn your ingest pipeline into a serial stream which can be problematic for especially high volumes of events.

0 Karma

sam_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Howdy!  Is it just a single action that needs to be locked or genuinely the entire playbook? Could you provide a little more details?

To cut to the chase: we don't have a "lock playbook" kind of action OOB to limit it to 1 concurrent run, but we might be able to figure out how to accommodate your use case.

0 Karma

stauff
Explorer

The whole playbook does need to be locked.  I envisioned a "lock" action at the beginning and an "unlock" action at the end of the playbook.  The playbook is deduplicating events.  Basically, the playbook checks if the event is a duplicate, and if it is, it updates the event to reflect it is a duplicate.  We are using on poll to pull events from Splunk, so it's common for multiple events to be created at the same time.  If two events come in at the same time that are duplicates, the "check if duplicate event" action may be run at the same time for both events, prior to either of them updating the event with the result of the check, which causes inaccurate results.

Just in case you ask about deduplicating the data prior to pulling the data into Phantom, I'll note that's not always possible for us.

0 Karma

djacquens
Path Finder

Hi,

We are facing the same issue here.
We decided to deal with the issue of different playbooks running at the same time by adding a small random sleep as a Quick Fix but this is ugly.

Therefore, I would like to know if you or anybody has ever managed to deal with a lock/semaphore to deal with this issue of having many playbooks running on the same container at the same time?

Thanks,

David

0 Karma

phanTom
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@djacquens if you are using the python sleep then I would highly recommend you undo asap as it will cause platform instability and halt automation for the duration of the sleep. If using something else then please ignore the above 😄 

First, I would need to understand why playbooks are running on the same container more than once. 

An immediate fix is to add a tag to the container when the playbook first runs, then have a decision at the front that checks if the tag exists and will just end if it does. 

If you are adding artifacts to the container during automation and DON'T want the pb to run again make sure you are setting the 'run_automation' flag to false when creating the artifacts. 

Hope this helps. 

djacquens
Path Finder

Thanks for the reply.
The same playbook on each artifacts of the Crowdstrike Falcon Apps and virtually at the same time.
This does create some issue of concurrency. It is not possible to add a TAG as they run at the same time and add at the same time the TAG.

0 Karma

phantom_mhike
Path Finder

@djacquens 
I just released the app "Fuse Box" on splunkbase for just this purpose.
https://github.com/splunk-soar-connectors/fuseboxutility/blob/next/README.md

It should be available in the new apps UI if interested in giving it a try.

0 Karma

djacquens
Path Finder

@phantom_mhike  Thanks for the input.
We shall try your app in the next few days.

Thanks again

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...