Splunk IT Service Intelligence

Why does kvstore_to_json.py fail to update kpi threshold templates?

wmuselle
Path Finder

when doing a partial backup (GUI)/restore (CLI),

it fails with the message:

process:17394 thread:MainThread ERROR [itsi.migration] [__init__:1413] [exception] Object names must be unique for object type: kpi_threshold_template. List of duplicate names: [omitted list of duplicate objects].
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SA-ITOA/lib/migration/migration.py", line 200, in migration_bulk_save_to_kvstore
    handler.migration_save_single_object_to_kvstore(object_type=object_type, validation=validation, dupname_tag=dupname_tag, skip_local_failure=skip_local_failure)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SA-ITOA/lib/migration/object_interface/itoa_migration_interface.py", line 130, in migration_save_single_object_to_kvstore
    skip_local_failure=skip_local_failure)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SA-ITOA/lib/ITOA/itoa_common.py", line 1026, in save_batch
    skip_local_failure=skip_local_failure)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SA-ITOA/lib/ITOA/itoa_object.py", line 431, in save_batch
    transaction_id=transaction_id, skip_local_failure=skip_local_failure)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SA-ITOA/lib/ITOA/itoa_object.py", line 169, in do_object_validation
    raise e
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SA-ITOA/lib/ITOA/itoa_object.py", line 164, in do_object_validation
    self.validate_identifying_name(owner, objects, dupname_tag, transaction_id)
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SA-ITOA/lib/ITOA/itoa_object.py", line 232, in validate_identifying_name
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SA-ITOA/lib/ITOA/itoa_common.py", line 949, in raise_error_bad_validation
    raise ItoaValidationError(message, logger, self.log_prefix, status_code=status_code)
ITOA.itoa_exceptions.ItoaValidationError: Object names must be unique for object type: kpi_threshold_template. List of duplicate names: [omitted list of duplicate objects].

I tried using the -e switch documented (I tried even if it only renames services/entities), https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ITSI/4.4.5/Configure/kvstorejson

when removing the json file that has the KPI Threshold templates, the script successfully creates/updates all other objects.

to be complete, this is the CLI call: 

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SA-ITOA/bin/kvstore_to_json.py -i -d -n -f /home/<myuser>/depot/itsi/itsi_configurations/ -u admin -p <cut> -v -e dup_202208161350

any pointers? 

Labels (4)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...