Splunk IT Service Intelligence

Updating Entities using ITSI REST API?

fidrildi
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hiya, 
I am trying to use the ITSI REST API to update entities in my splunk development.

I am able to create entities and overwrite pre existing entities which have the same `_key` value. 

But I want to just update an entity without overwriting/deleting any data.
So say I have an entity with 2 info fields:
"cpu_cores = 4"
"memory = 32"
and I just want to update the "cpu_cores" field to be "cpu_cores = 8" and leave the "memory" field the same, but whenever I execute the post request it overwrites the info fields and deletes the "memory" Field.

Below is the Endpoint I am using and the JSON object to update the entity:

Endpoint
https://<my_ip>:8089/servicesNS/nobody/itsi/itoa_interface/entity/bulk_update/?is_partial_data=1

JSON Object

[
    {
        "_key":"aa_entity_1",
        "title": "aa entity 1",
        "object_type": "entity",
        "description": "Just a test",
        "informational": {
            "fields": [
                "cpu_cores"
            ],
            "values": [
                "8"
            ]
        },
        "cpu_cores": [
            "8"
        ]
    }
]

This JSON creates the entity fine, and what I understand from the documentation is that the "is_partial_data=1" should mean that it will only update data and not remove any, I have looked around and tried different things with the "is_partial_data=1". I've tried putting it into the  JSON Object as "is_partial_data":true,
In the endpoint I saw somewhere that the "/" shouldn't be present before the "?is_partial_data=1", but this didnt work either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Addtional Info:

Splunk Enterprise: 9.0.3
ITSI Version: 4.13.2
Using Postman to do post request

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

srauhala_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi! 

What is not working for you the "/servicesNS/nobody/SA-ITOA/itoa_interface/entity/bulk_update?is_partial_data=1" endpoint? What was the response? 

This works for me on SE 9.0.3 

curl -k -u user:password https://localhost:8089/servicesNS/nobody/SA-ITOA/itoa_interface/entity/bulk_update?is_partial_data=1 -H "Content-Type: application json" -X POST -d '[{"_key":"entity_guid","cpu":["56"]}]'

Note that the payload needs to be a JSON list. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...