Splunk IT Service Intelligence

Splunk IT Service Intelligence: Is using inputlookup as a base search for KPI appropriate?

TheJagoff
Communicator

Hello,

I am attempting to use a CSV file as an inputlookup as a base search in Splunk IT Service Intelligence (ITSI). The search runs fine in the Base Search Editor:

|inputlookup lookup_assets.csv |fields public_table

and I get around 100 returns such as:

public_table
Asset1
Asset2
Asset3
Asset93

For the next step: I go to add the public_table as a metric for a distinct count, but I don't get any results when I attempt to set the thresholds.

Question - is using an inputlookup table in this manner valid? If so, what am I doing incorrectly?

Many thanks.

0 Karma
1 Solution

TheJagoff
Communicator

I will answer my own question...
The following will actually work as a search for a KPI...

|inputlookup lookup_assets.csv |stats dc(public_table) AS CriticalApps| eval _time = now()

But - after getting some more information from the client; this is not an efficient method for a KPI that will be executed every 5 minutes. This input lookup table is used for further calculations for a KPI that gathers more information so the best way to display this information is as an adhoc widget in a glass table.

So yes, it can be done - no it's not the best way of doing things if it is only going to be used for visual information via Glass Table in ITSI.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

TheJagoff
Communicator

I will answer my own question...
The following will actually work as a search for a KPI...

|inputlookup lookup_assets.csv |stats dc(public_table) AS CriticalApps| eval _time = now()

But - after getting some more information from the client; this is not an efficient method for a KPI that will be executed every 5 minutes. This input lookup table is used for further calculations for a KPI that gathers more information so the best way to display this information is as an adhoc widget in a glass table.

So yes, it can be done - no it's not the best way of doing things if it is only going to be used for visual information via Glass Table in ITSI.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...