Splunk IT Service Intelligence
Highlighted

Is there a way for a Child Service to only inherit KPIs for chosen hosts from a Parent Service in an ITSI service?

Hi

I have an ITSI Service which splits by host - let's call it 'Servers'. There are lots of servers. I have another Service called 'Databases'. It has a Dependency on the Servers service - databases run on servers. But each database is only dependent on 2 of the hosts which are monitored by the Servers service.

The Databases service appears to inherit the KPI from Servers without allowing me to split by host.

Does that make sense? Is there a way for a Child Service to only inherit KPIs for chosen hosts from a Parent Service?

Many thanks

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Is there a way for a Child Service to only inherit KPIs for chosen hosts from a Parent Service in an ITSI service?

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Why not just add the server KPI's to the database service? This would be a better option than adding the server dependency. By default, when you add a dependency, it has a score of 11 which means the dependency score will override any of the child's scores. You could decrease this value if needed

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Is there a way for a Child Service to only inherit KPIs for chosen hosts from a Parent Service in an ITSI service?

Thanks for your answer. The example I used was an example; in reality there are lots of inter-dependent Services, and scale is the issue. If I do it the way you suggest then there would be hundreds of KPIs because I would be setting up a separate KPI for each entity/database/server combo. If I can use the entity splits then the entire project would have only 12 KPIs in the entire solution, and each service would be driven by its entity list. I just seems more elegant and maintainable if it can be done.

BTW the score of a dependent service is 11 by default so I can change it, and that is only for the HealthScore KPI itself, it is set to 5 by default for dependent KPIs selected.

0 Karma