Splunk IT Service Intelligence

How do you monitor auto scaling in ec2 instances in Splunk ITSI?

RomeSplunk123
Explorer

The problem we are running into is, the entity import can not keep up with the transient nature of AWS cloud, where we have auto scaling AWS EC2 instances and containers which get terminated and new ones gets created, but the new entities are not added automatically to services.

How can I solve this issue in ITSI?  Any ideas?

Here is a reference link for what auto scaling is.  Basically we are getting data from CloudWatch and passing it to Splunk, but the things, because thousands of containers are spinning up and down, Splunk somehow doesn't add dynamically such entities into services... 

Is there anyway to overcome this? Or should I be using some other approach to monitor such types of microservices where containers spinning up and down, where one moment they can be in one node the next in another.... yet the entities do not get updated.... every time that happens...    How do other customers monitor micro-services in such case?    Any ideas? 

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/autoscaling/ec2/userguide/as-instance-monitoring.html

Labels (1)

olidare
Engager

I've also come into this issue, keen to hear if you found a solution

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...