Splunk IT Service Intelligence
Highlighted

Can you help me with my Splunk Insights for Infrastructure 1.2 Install Problem?

Path Finder

Working with the .deb install file for Insights for Infrastructure 1.2 on Ubuntu 16.4 (splunkinsightsinfrastructure-7.2.0-1d083d1668bd-linux-2.6-amd64.deb).

Installing this package caused the files to be installed in the root of /opt instead of /opt/splunk. This is causing the following errors to occur during the install:

grep: /opt/splunk/etc/splunk.version: No such file or directory
Couldn't read VERSION from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/splunk.version, something is wrong.
grep: /opt/splunk/etc/splunk.version: No such file or directory
Couldn't read BUILD from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/splunk.version, something is wrong.
/var/lib/dpkg/info/splunk.postinst: line 101: /opt/splunk/etc/splunk-launch.conf: No such file or directory
touch: cannot touch '/opt/splunk/ftr': No such file or directory
/var/lib/dpkg/info/splunk.postinst: line 112: /opt/splunk/ftr: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/opt/splunk/etc/regid.2001-12.com.splunk-UniversalForwarder.swidtag': No such file or directory
/var/lib/dpkg/info/splunk.postinst: line 154: /opt/splunk/ftr: No such file or directory
chown: cannot access '/opt/splunk': No such file or directory

After moving the files to the /opt/splunk directory and rerunning the installation, the files in that location were updated with the "splunk" username, and I was able to get it running.

Highlighted

Re: Can you help me with my Splunk Insights for Infrastructure 1.2 Install Problem?

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention! We've fixed the .deb install file available from the Splunk website. If you've already got it working, the only difference was the directory structure (/opt/ vs /opt/splunk).

View solution in original post