Splunk IT Service Intelligence

Can you help me with my Splunk Insights for Infrastructure 1.2 Install Problem?

jlemley
Path Finder

Working with the .deb install file for Insights for Infrastructure 1.2 on Ubuntu 16.4 (splunk_insights_infrastructure-7.2.0-1d083d1668bd-linux-2.6-amd64.deb).

Installing this package caused the files to be installed in the root of /opt instead of /opt/splunk. This is causing the following errors to occur during the install:

grep: /opt/splunk/etc/splunk.version: No such file or directory
Couldn't read VERSION from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/splunk.version, something is wrong.
grep: /opt/splunk/etc/splunk.version: No such file or directory
Couldn't read BUILD from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/splunk.version, something is wrong.
/var/lib/dpkg/info/splunk.postinst: line 101: /opt/splunk/etc/splunk-launch.conf: No such file or directory
touch: cannot touch '/opt/splunk/ftr': No such file or directory
/var/lib/dpkg/info/splunk.postinst: line 112: /opt/splunk/ftr: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/opt/splunk/etc/regid.2001-12.com.splunk-UniversalForwarder.swidtag': No such file or directory
/var/lib/dpkg/info/splunk.postinst: line 154: /opt/splunk/ftr: No such file or directory
chown: cannot access '/opt/splunk': No such file or directory

After moving the files to the /opt/splunk directory and rerunning the installation, the files in that location were updated with the "splunk" username, and I was able to get it running.

1 Solution

pwu_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention! We've fixed the .deb install file available from the Splunk website. If you've already got it working, the only difference was the directory structure (/opt/ vs /opt/splunk).

View solution in original post

vishaltv
Path Finder

++ Apologies, I missed to add a step ; reposting the same 
===========================================

For the cp: cannot stat '/opt/splunk/etc/regid.2001-12.com.splunk-Splunk-Enterprise.swidtag': No such file or directory Issue, I've workaround solution :

While installing 8.1.1 in ubuntu, we could see the error :

Setting up splunk (8.1.1) ...
cp: cannot stat '/opt/splunk/etc/regid.2001-12.com.splunk-Splunk-Enterprise.swidtag': No such file or directory
complete

And when I checked, I could see a folder /opt/splunk/swidtag/  and a file "splunk-Splunk-Enterprise-primary.swidtag"

I copied it to "/opt/splunk/etc/"  and  renamed it to "regid.2001-12.com.splunk-Splunk-Enterprise.swidtag'" 

Change Owner of the file :

/opt/splunk/etc# chown splunk:splunk regid.2001-12.com.splunk-Splunk-Enterprise.swidtag

Install again and it Worked!!

sudo dpkg -i splunk-8.1.1-08187535c166-linux-2.6-amd64.deb
(Reading database ... 265846 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack splunk-8.1.1-08187535c166-linux-2.6-amd64.deb ...
This looks like an upgrade of an existing Splunk Server. Attempting to stop the installed Splunk Server...
splunkd is not running.
Unpacking splunk (8.1.1) over (8.1.1) ...
complete

0 Karma

vishaltv
Path Finder

For the cp: cannot stat '/opt/splunk/etc/regid.2001-12.com.splunk-Splunk-Enterprise.swidtag': No such file or directory Issue, I've workaround solution : 

While installing in ubuntu, we could see the error : 

cp: cannot stat '/opt/splunk/etc/regid.2001-12.com.splunk-Splunk-Enterprise.swidtag': No such file or directory
complete

And when I checked, I could see a folder /opt/splunk/swidtag/  and a file "splunk-Splunk-Enterprise-primary.swidtag"

I copied it to "/opt/splunk/etc/"  and  renamed it to "regid.2001-12.com.splunk-Splunk-Enterprise.swidtag'" 

Install again and it Worked!!

sudo dpkg -i splunk-8.1.1-08187535c166-linux-2.6-amd64.deb
(Reading database ... 265846 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack splunk-8.1.1-08187535c166-linux-2.6-amd64.deb ...
This looks like an upgrade of an existing Splunk Server. Attempting to stop the installed Splunk Server...
splunkd is not running.
Unpacking splunk (8.1.1) over (8.1.1) ...
complete

0 Karma

pwu_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention! We've fixed the .deb install file available from the Splunk website. If you've already got it working, the only difference was the directory structure (/opt/ vs /opt/splunk).

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...