Splunk IT Service Intelligence

Can I add and use ad hoc search KPI without entities?

deodion
Path Finder

Can I add and use ad hoc search KPI without entities?

I have a service where I want to add a generic KPI and use ad hoc search, says like attached pic below,
alt text

I see that in Service Analyzer, the SSH Gateway KPI for SSH connection value is N/A, and it says 0 entities also.
I also tried to add host field at Split by Entity, Entity Filter Field, and Entity Alias Filtering, but no luck also,

Am I missing something? Thank you!

0 Karma
1 Solution

sduff_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It is not necessary to use entities with a KPI. You shouldn't need to worry about any of the Split by Entity, Entity Filter Field, and Entity Alias Filtering conditions.

I notice that your search uses stats, which is generally frowned upon when creating KPI searches. I believe that is what is causing your issue. Try the following search instead.

index=connectivity sourcetype=connect_ping | eval kpi_msg=if(action="connection succeeded", 100, 0)

Then use the latest kpi_msg as the aggregate value for the service.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sduff_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It is not necessary to use entities with a KPI. You shouldn't need to worry about any of the Split by Entity, Entity Filter Field, and Entity Alias Filtering conditions.

I notice that your search uses stats, which is generally frowned upon when creating KPI searches. I believe that is what is causing your issue. Try the following search instead.

index=connectivity sourcetype=connect_ping | eval kpi_msg=if(action="connection succeeded", 100, 0)

Then use the latest kpi_msg as the aggregate value for the service.

0 Karma

deodion
Path Finder

yes you are correct I found the answer after I post question anyway thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...