Splunk Enterprise

why are we constantly getting this "Unspecified upload error. Refresh and try again." when uploading data ?

jadengoho
Builder

Me and my other colleagues having problem regarding adding data , We are uploading a csv file (10kb) but it doesn't allow us to add new data. We do have a legit license and we are not having warning about uploading bigger data ,
We do try different solutions like uploading a different file , restarting the splunk and updating splunk , and even UNINSTALL-INSTALL IT AGAIN but it still cant upload a new data.
May i know why this is happening to our splunk enterprise .

alt text

Tags (1)
1 Solution

jaracan
Communicator

Hi jadengoho,

You can try to use other browser instead when uploading you data.
Use Internet Explorer instead of Google Chrome browser.
Hope this will resolve your issue.

View solution in original post

funkerman1

Please check the file properties/settings and permission! If the file is create or extracted via root, the permission should be changed!
Hope that it helps.

0 Karma

philips66

I am getting this error "Unspecified upload error. Refresh and try again. " I have tried Chrome/Explorer/and firefox and there is no way i can upload the training files. This is preventing me from moving beyond module 4. I have tried the above recommendations and so far nothing has worked. Any other ideas?

0 Karma

joshw428
Engager

Hi All, I encountered this issue as well on every file type I was attempting to upload. It came down to an issue for me with using http instead of https (SSL). Go to settings --> Server Settings --> General Settings and enable SSL (https) on web.

This solution worked for me. Hope it works for other people with this problem!

emotz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

another browser and compressed to zip file and it worked just fine.

0 Karma

mjannu

I had issue with Microsoft Edge browser. When I used Chrome I am able to upload the data without any issues.

0 Karma

alai
Explorer

I get this message regularly (using Chrome). Switching browser sometimes helps but not always.

Instead I use gzip to compress the file before uploading.

0 Karma

dragut

I am getting the same error on both on my splunk enterprise on my laptop.

0 Karma

pucknuts33

I had the same problem using Chrome.

When I tried to load data using Microsoft Edge it worked fine ...

Hope this helps...

-Steve S.,I had the same problem using Chrome.
When I tried it in Microsoft Edge it worked fine ...

Hope this helps ...
S

0 Karma

jaracan
Communicator

Hi jadengoho,

You can try to use other browser instead when uploading you data.
Use Internet Explorer instead of Google Chrome browser.
Hope this will resolve your issue.

jadengoho
Builder

Hi, jaracan,
That workaround works for me, but can you tell me why and how that does affect my localhost instance ?.
1) We do have a different machine, but the same problem?
2) Does the Google chrome have some issue with adding data?
.Nevertheless this workaround was great, but it would be greater if you could answer some of question.

0 Karma

jadengoho
Builder

Hi deepashri_123, still don't know why is that appearing

alt text

0 Karma

p_gurav
Champion

Is there any space in file name? Is the file format is correct?

0 Karma

jadengoho
Builder

No there are no Space . it's just "XXXX_XXXX_XXX.csv " . Is it a splunk error or its on our machine ?

0 Karma

deepashri_123
Motivator

Hey jadengoho,

I am not sure if this will work but can you try following two things:
1. Clear your browser history and try adding data again.
2. If that doesn't work try monitoring that file and index once.

Hope this helps!!

0 Karma

jadengoho
Builder

thanks for that , but i do actually Reinstall the Splunk , Restart my machine, Clear my browser but then again still

"Unspecified upload error. Refresh and try again."
And same to my fellow colleagues , its not on our network since i try this in my house, and different location but nothing changes , we cant still upload a data .

The file monitoring was a work around , but it on a specific folder and if that folder was accidentally deleted it will lost , Hope someone can help us regarding this problem .

0 Karma

deepashri_123
Motivator

Even if you accidentally delete the files, data once indexed wont be deleted from Splunk, the data will be available in Splunk.

0 Karma

jadengoho
Builder

Okay , that's helpful , but can i ask why does this happening to our splunk localhost ?

0 Karma

deepashri_123
Motivator

I am assuming that it has to be browser cache issue , i tried recreating the error and when i tried adding data in incognito mode it worked. Can you try the same?

0 Karma

deepashri_123
Motivator

Is there any license error?
Also check index=_internal log_level=ERROR for any error messages.

0 Karma

jadengoho
Builder

apparently there are no license error , i just get my DEV license last week , and as i check i dont have any violation or warning . That's why i am still baffled about this error that we got , and i am not the only one who are experiencing this we're about 7 people . Different license, different machine , different network connections BUT SAME ERROR

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...