Splunk Enterprise

whether to upgrade splunk apps or splunk instance during the splunk upgrade?

seme0000

HI Folks 

I have planned to upgrade my splunk environment from 7.3.3 to 8.0.8. Since it is a python upgrade, i need to know whether we shoould update my app which are compatible to the new version in the current instance and then upgrade the splunk instance in the entire upgradation process

We also have a inhouse built in apps running in python 2.7

So please suggest the order either 

1. App update --> splunk instance update OR

2. Splunk instance update --> app update

Labels (1)
0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

@seme0000 

It depends on the complexity of your deployment and the time you have to perform regression analysis.

Your options are documented here: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.8/Installation/PlanPython3

Despite the "high effort in the long term " warning, the Python 2 path may be better for you if you don't own your add-on code---i.e. you license it, as with most apps downloaded from Splunkbase--and your vendor hasn't verified compatibility with Python 3.

If you already know your apps are compatible with both Python 2 and Python 3, you can often upgrade the apps first. As a general rule of thumb, if the app is compatible with both Splunk 7.3 and Splunk 8.0, a straight upgrade is possible.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...