Splunk Enterprise

what makes tstats on _internal go wrong?

MonkeyK
Builder

My teammate and I have been trying to summarize our environment to automatically build a data dictionary.  Our last feature was to add a lastSeen time to use as a rudimentary data integrity check.  
Recently this has stopped working on the _internal index.  As in tstats max time on _internal is a week ago, even though a straight SPL search on index=_internal returns results for today or any other arbitrary slice of time I query over the last week.  This suggests to me that the tsidx is messed up for _internal.  

But to make matters more confusing, yesterday I was able to submit the same query and get a correct max(_time) for index=_internal.  

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on with this behavior? Better yet, what I need to do to fix it?

If it matters, this is a clustered search head environment and we also have quite a few indexers

usual results

| tstats count max(_time) as lastSeen where index=_* earliest=-20d@d latest=@m by index
| convert ctime(lastSeen)

index count lastSeen

_audit99999999910/22/2021 15:39:59
_internal999999910/14/2021 20:09:35
_introspection99999999910/22/2021 15:39:59
_telemetry99910/22/2021 12:05:05
Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's a known issue but not currently listed on  the known issues page (I have an active support case open on it).

I did ask why it's not on the known issues page, I'll ask support again for it to be listed...

Basically for tstats on the internal index you can add include_reduced_buckets=t, and that should make your results accurate.

However I found this made the search dramatically slower so it was better to not use tstats, they haven't provided a version with a bugfix yet...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Which splunk version? I've hit an issue that appears to be a known issue with tstats and the internal index in 8.2.2...

0 Karma

MonkeyK
Builder

I'm on 8.2.2 as well.
If the problem is really just _internal, I'm not super concerned.  But it really makes me uncomfortable that there might be errors with other indexes.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's a known issue but not currently listed on  the known issues page (I have an active support case open on it).

I did ask why it's not on the known issues page, I'll ask support again for it to be listed...

Basically for tstats on the internal index you can add include_reduced_buckets=t, and that should make your results accurate.

However I found this made the search dramatically slower so it was better to not use tstats, they haven't provided a version with a bugfix yet...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...