Splunk Enterprise

what directory should I put commands.conf

alexl1
Path Finder

I am in /opt/apps/splunk/etc/apps/search/default

when I edit commands.conf it says

DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!

Please make all changes to files in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local

does that mean I should make a new commands.conf with my new command and place in /opt/apps/splunk/etc/apps/search/local ?

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You could make changes to a file in /etc/apps/search/default/and they would work, until you upgraded. The reason you're instructed to make changes in /local is that those changes are preserved on upgrade. So yes, you should either copy, or make a new file called commands.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/local for your new command.

View solution in original post

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You could make changes to a file in /etc/apps/search/default/and they would work, until you upgraded. The reason you're instructed to make changes in /local is that those changes are preserved on upgrade. So yes, you should either copy, or make a new file called commands.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/local for your new command.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...