Splunk Enterprise

timestamp strftime issues

walsborn
Path Finder

Hi all,

I keep getting "DateParserVerbose [6827 merging] - Failed to parse timestamp in first MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD (75) characters of event. Defaulting to timestamp of previous event" warnings.

The time stamp in the logs looks like: 2021/10/28T16:06:08.183-07:00

props.conf looks like:

DETERMINE_TIMESTAMP_DATE_WITH_SYSTEM_TIME = true
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 75
MAX_DAYS_AGO = 36500
MAX_DAYS_HENCE = 36500
TIME_FORMAT = %d-%b-%y %I.%M.%S.%6Q %p
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
TRUNCATE = 500000

Anyone know what my time_format should be instead?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That TIME_FORMAT isn't even close so it' s no wonder Splunk is confused.  Try this one.

TIME_FORMAT = %Y/%m/%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N%:z

See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.3/SearchReference/Commontimeformatvariables for the metacharacters used in TIME_FORMAT.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

walsborn
Path Finder

Yeah I don't know what I'm doing, but thanks for pointing that out.  I appreciate the untactful assist.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That TIME_FORMAT isn't even close so it' s no wonder Splunk is confused.  Try this one.

TIME_FORMAT = %Y/%m/%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N%:z

See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.3/SearchReference/Commontimeformatvariables for the metacharacters used in TIME_FORMAT.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...