Splunk Enterprise

restarting Splunk forwarder on Linux

splunktrainingu
Communicator

Hello the issue I am having is with the following command:

./splunk restart

When I try to restart I get the following message:

As Su user:
Failed to run splunk as SPLUNK_OS_USER. This command can only be run by bootstart user.

without su user:
please run 'splunk ftr' as boot-start user

I am not understanding what it is asking me to do...

I want to mention that puppet is the tool we use to deploy the UF to our linux servers. I am trying to restart the UF because I want to see if the linux server will  use the splunk server as a deploymentserver by adding a deploymentclient.conf file to SplunkUniversalForwarder/etc/system/local.

0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@splunktrainingu,

Please check splunk-launch.conf for SPLUNK_OS_USER then su to this user and start the Splunk service like below; (assuming SPLUNK_OS_USER is splunk)

sudo su splunk -
/opt/splunk/bin splunk start

If this reply helps you upvote is appreciated.

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@splunktrainingu,

Please check splunk-launch.conf for SPLUNK_OS_USER then su to this user and start the Splunk service like below; (assuming SPLUNK_OS_USER is splunk)

sudo su splunk -
/opt/splunk/bin splunk start

If this reply helps you upvote is appreciated.

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...