help to filter a timechart from a dropdown list field

jip31
Motivator

hi

I use the search below

As you can see, I stat the events by SITE

`CPU` 
| fields process_cpu_used_percent host
| eval slottime = strftime(_time, "%H%M") 
| where (slottime >= 900 AND slottime <= 1700) 
| lookup fo_all HOSTNAME as host output SITE
| search SITE=$tok_filtersite|s$ 
| eval cpu_range=case(process_cpu_used_percent>0 AND process_cpu_used_percent <=20,"0-20",
    process_cpu_used_percent>20 AND process_cpu_used_percent <=40,"20-40",
    process_cpu_used_percent>40 AND process_cpu_used_percent <=60,"40-60",
    process_cpu_used_percent>60 AND process_cpu_used_percent <=80,"60-80",
    process_cpu_used_percent>80 AND process_cpu_used_percent <=100,"80-100") 
| stats avg(process_cpu_used_percent) as process_cpu_used_percent by host, _time, cpu_range SITE 

Now I need to do a timechart

So I add this line

| timechart span=1d dc(host) by cpu_range

But I need to update my timechart by SITE because I use a dropdown list with differents SITE name

As there is no SITE field in the timechart line, I lose this field so I am unable to display the timechart by SITE

I have tried this but it doesnt works

| timechart span=1d dc(host) by cpu_range SITE

What I have to do for being able to filter the timechart by SITE?

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

you can't timechart BY two things, only one. 

Try something like this:

`CPU` 
| timechart avg(process_cpu_used_percent) as avg_process_cpu_used_percent by SITE

Now the second part you seem to want is to bucket the cpu into 20% chunks.  But ... well why?  🙂  I do get what you are after, but I don't think it's sensible when you are timecharting.

There's no real solution to doing what you want easily, because that makes no sense on the timescale we're using, but that's OK, here's an option anyway.

`CPU` 
| timechart avg(process_cpu_used_percent) as avg_process_cpu_used_percent by SITE
| eval avg_process_cpu_used_percent = round(avg_process_cpu_used_percent/20, 0) * 20

I mean, you can't average by that, or take the average of a string like "20-40% CPU", so I really don't get ... well, .   Anyway, the last one above converts a continuous 0-100 percent into 1) divide by 20 to chop it down to 0.00000 to 5.00000 (with decimal), round it to get rid of the decimals (now just 0 to 5), then multiple it back out to get 0,20,40,60, 80 or 100.  Other math could be done, if this is actually want you want to do, but I don't think it is.

And you could *totally* just replace that eval at the end with `| bin bins=5 temperature`, which does in fact use the bin command and makes the *statistics* tab look useful, but there's no way to chart that properly in a timechart.  At least no way as far as I can tell.

Anyway, happy splunking!

-Rich

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

you can't timechart BY two things, only one. 

Try something like this:

`CPU` 

Now the second part you seem to want is to bucket the cpu into 20% chunks.  But ... well why?  🙂  I do get what you are after, but I don't think it's sensible when you are timecharting.

There's no real solution to doing what you want easily, because that makes no sense on the timescale we're using, but that's OK, here's an option anyway.

`CPU` 
| eval avg_process_cpu_used_percent = round(avg_process_cpu_used_percent/20, 0) * 20

I mean, you can't average by that, or take the average of a string like "20-40% CPU", so I really don't get ... well, .   Anyway, the last one above converts a continuous 0-100 percent into 1) divide by 20 to chop it down to 0.00000 to 5.00000 (with decimal), round it to get rid of the decimals (now just 0 to 5), then multiple it back out to get 0,20,40,60, 80 or 100.  Other math could be done, if this is actually want you want to do, but I don't think it is.

And you could *totally* just replace that eval at the end with `| bin bins=5 temperature`, which does in fact use the bin command and makes the *statistics* tab look useful, but there's no way to chart that properly in a timechart.  At least no way as far as I can tell.

Anyway, happy splunking!

-Rich

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...