Splunk Enterprise

forward data shaped on 150mbps and event loses

H4MID
Engager

Hi

i have a firewall that send syslog data to my splunk HF

my problem is that when syslog stream data go high (over than 130mbps) , HF forward data at maximum 150mbps (shaped on network graph) and events loses
there is no error or log that show what happen to my data or events on HF,UF,Indexers(no queue,bufer or connection error ,no splunkd.log error or warning)

image.png

there is much Hardware Resource on all Splunk Cluster VMs: 12Core CPU(2.4Ghz) 20GB of Ram and SSD in all splunk VMs

note (i dont use any event filtering or special process on data in HF in yet , just data get in and forward)

is there any limit ? if yes what can i do with this scenario ?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

maraman_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

first thing is that it is not a best pratice to collect syslog with Splunk HF, see Syslog topic in splunk-validated-architectures.pdf 

if you want to keep with that setup, you can try to increase pipelines (see https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Indexer/Pipelinesets )  (this will only do something if your syslog data can be seen as multiple inputs, if you have only one source, look at alternatives such as SC4S)

you should probably also look at :

- os kernel (tcp/ip) buffers for syslog

- increase queue size at splunk level (inputs and outputs at least on the forwarder but also queues on indexers)

- make sure data is load balanced correctly

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dobbelden

Hai

saya memiliki firewall yang mengirim data syslog ke HF splunk saya

masalah saya adalah ketika data aliran syslog menjadi tinggi (lebih dari 130mbps), data. HF pada maksimum 150mbps (berbentuk grafik jaringan) dan peristiwa hilang
tidak ada kesalahan atau log yang menunjukkan apa yang terjadi pada data atau peristiwa saya di HF, UF, Pengindeks (tidak ada antrian, bufer atau kesalahan koneksi, tidak ada kesalahan atau kesalahan peringatan splunkd.log)

ada banyak Sumber Daya Hardware pada semua S p lunk Clu s ter VM: 12Core CPU (2.4Ghz) 20GB Ram dan SSD di semua splunk VMS

catatan (id o nt menggunakan acara penyaringan atau proses khusus pada data di HF dalam belum, hanya data yang masuk dan ke depan)

0 Karma

maraman_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

first thing is that it is not a best pratice to collect syslog with Splunk HF, see Syslog topic in splunk-validated-architectures.pdf 

if you want to keep with that setup, you can try to increase pipelines (see https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Indexer/Pipelinesets )  (this will only do something if your syslog data can be seen as multiple inputs, if you have only one source, look at alternatives such as SC4S)

you should probably also look at :

- os kernel (tcp/ip) buffers for syslog

- increase queue size at splunk level (inputs and outputs at least on the forwarder but also queues on indexers)

- make sure data is load balanced correctly

0 Karma

H4MID
Engager

was great help, thank you!

but in end, i did somthing else , i use NginX UDP Loadbalancer and 2xUF (with optimized configuration and OS improvment )

why UDP LB ? because use syslog-ng make my Storage busy Twice(write in syslog-ng + indexers) but we need to keep the storage(SAN) in low disk I/O and in other hand, i need events be on splunk soon as soon, so i send direct syslog stream to UFs

and now i have 4,000,000,000 event on last 3days without event lost

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...