Splunk Enterprise

create a field from regex

omershira
Explorer

Hello,

From my system I recive number of events, some of them contain a value of the letter 'c' and then 7 digits like so: 'c5426987'. I want to create a field by the name user_id that will contain that value.

I tried to use extract field and mark the value I was searching for but it got only some of the results and not all of them, the thing is that the value shows up in different ways like:

- name:c1234567

-somedata/c1234567

- login by c1234567

and I can't find a way to get them all... 

I tested a regex in a website that examines regexes and it did extract what I was searching for. the regex I tested was: "/c[/d]{7}/g" and it gave the wanted results on the website. 

I tried using both rex and regex commands and they didnt seem to work...

can you please help me to find the way to create the field "user_id" using that regex?

thanks!

omer shira

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this

your search
| rex "(?<user_id>c\d{7})"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this

your search
| rex "(?<user_id>c\d{7})"
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

omershira
Explorer

Yay! that's worked!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...