Splunk Enterprise

config changes indexes.conf - restart query

goelt2000
Explorer

Hi All,

Do we need an indexer restart in non clustered search peers for these changes?

Is reloading not enough?

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.0/Indexer/Determinerestart

in particular "coldPath.maxDataSizeMB" and "Enabling or disabling an index that contains data"

I don't think Splunk throws any errors or blocks subsequent indexes.conf changes when this happens. I need to check the logs, when any change is made in coldPath.maxDataSizeMB. But I am sure when disabling an index, the things go smooth without a restart. Why do we need a restart then?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you push out a new index then a restart/rolling restart of the indexers is not necessary.

If you make any changes to indexes.conf (other than a new index) the a restart is required (rolling restart for indexer cluster).

For an indexer cluster you need to use the master for bundle verification and push.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma

goelt2000
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. the indexes.conf documentation does not say to restart it though when we disable.

Am I missing something?

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.0/Admin/Indexesconf

Thanks!

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Disabling an index does not require a restart, along with creating a new one (as I mentioned). Those are the two exceptions. Any other parameter changes require restart. The master will let you know if rolling restart is required after bundle validation.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...