Splunk Enterprise

Wrong percent values caclulated by "top" command on multivalue fields?

Bernd

Hello,

I have observed that the "top" command seems to calculate wrong percentage values if used on a multivalue field, i.e. a field which may contain multiple values. Example: If I run the following search:

| makeresults
| eval test="multivalue1,multivalue2|singlevalue"
| eval test = split(test, "|")
| mvexpand test
| eval test = split(test, ",")
| top test

I get the following result:

testcountpercent
singlevalue150.000000
multivalue2150.000000
multivalue1150.000000

Which seems wrong, because the sum of the "percent" values is 150%. It seems like Splunk's "top" command expands the input search, which consists of 2 entries, to 3 entries, which it outputs. But the percentages are being calculated using the original 2 entries, i.e. somehow like <count> / <number of input search entries>, the latter being 2 here.

Shouldn't the percentages rather be calculated as <count> / <number of expanded search entries>, the latter being the correct 3 here?

If I modify the test query so it expands the multivalue fields before the top command, the result is as expected:

| makeresults
| eval test="multivalue1,multivalue2|singlevalue"
| eval test = split(test, "|")
| mvexpand test
| eval test = split(test, ",")
| mvexpand test
| top test

testcountpercent
singlevalue133.333333
multivalue2133.333333
multivalue1133.333333

My question: Is this a bug or a feature? If the former: Should I report it?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...