Splunk Enterprise

Why is there an error while performing "Migrate KV store to the WiredTiger storage engine"?

fortes777
Engager

I am on Splunk 8.2.4

While performing "Migrate the KV store after an upgrade to Splunk Enterprise 8.1 or higher in a clustered deployment"  (see https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.4/Admin/MigrateKVstore )

splunk start-shcluster-migration kvstore -storageEngine wiredTiger -isDryRun true

I'm getting message "Admin handler 'shclustercaptainkvstoremigrate' not found."

Searh Head KV_Store is up and running. Splunk 8.2.4

I can't find any troubleshoot topic. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Search head cluster or standalone search head?

And did you setup the server.conf as per the docs pre-migration?

View solution in original post

0 Karma

joe_mcmahon
Engager

I had this error appear too, but only because I skipped a step.  The rolling restart of the clustered search heads was critical after making the following server.conf change:

[kvstore]
storageEngineMigration=true

Once the rolling restart of the search heads completes, then enter the command:

splunk start-shcluster-migration kvstore -storageEngine wiredTiger

The response should read "Starting KVStore Migration".  Check the migration status via:

splunk show shcluster-kvmigration-status
0 Karma

ammara
Explorer

I seem to be having the same problem. Looks like there is something wrong with the command

0 Karma

fortes777
Engager

Search Head cluster and i added the [kvstore] stanza in server.conf (as described) before executing the dry run.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There might be a log relating to the migration in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk

However this is potentially support case territory now, and you may wish to log a case

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Search head cluster or standalone search head?

And did you setup the server.conf as per the docs pre-migration?

0 Karma

TheBravoSierra
Path Finder

I'm having the same issue...please advise. I have made appropriate changes to server.conf on shc nodes. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...