Splunk Enterprise

Why is Colon Character in JS not working?

rkeq0515
Path Finder

I am trying to use a colon ( : ) in my js file; however, I do not see results when I use the colon.  I verified that the command works with the colon when I run it within a Search window.   I also have it working without the colon in the js file.  I just can't seem to use the colon in the js file. 

The following code in my js file does not work.

... | search (path IN (\"*:\\windows\\*\")) | stats count

The following code in my js file works.

... | search (path IN (\"*\\windows\\*\")) | stats count

I tried to escape it like I did the double-quotes, but that did not work.  Is there a way to use the colon in the js file?

Thanks 

0 Karma
1 Solution

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@rkeq0515 - I always try multiple try-and-error when dealing with \ (backward slash).

One of these should work:

... | search path IN (\"*:\\windows\\*\") | stats count
... | search path IN (\"*:\\\windows\\\*\") | stats count
... | search path IN (\"*:\\\\windows\\\\*\") | stats count

(3 or 4 slashes should work)

I hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@rkeq0515 - I always try multiple try-and-error when dealing with \ (backward slash).

One of these should work:

... | search path IN (\"*:\\windows\\*\") | stats count
... | search path IN (\"*:\\\windows\\\*\") | stats count
... | search path IN (\"*:\\\\windows\\\\*\") | stats count

(3 or 4 slashes should work)

I hope this helps!!!

0 Karma

rkeq0515
Path Finder

Thank you!  The 4 back slashes worked.  I was focused on the colon since 2 back slashes were working.  However, I see that it wasn't providing the correct data.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...