Splunk Enterprise

Why doesn't splunk recognize our second CPU?

Gregski11
Contributor

All our search heads have dual processors in them but Splunk seems to only recognizes one in each of the three servers based on the number of CPU cores it reports in the Monitoring Console web gui, can Splunk use more than one processor? 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you check what there is added to splunkd.log when splunk has started? There should be that and another information like OS etc. mentioned.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

Azeemering
Builder

Yes Splunk's Minimum search head specification's are:

• An x86 64-bit chip architecture.
  • 16 physical CPU cores, or 32 vCPU at 2Ghz or greater speed per core.
  • 12GB RAM.

See:

Reference hardware - Splunk Documentation

0 Karma

Gregski11
Contributor

@Azeemering wrote:

Yes Splunk's Minimum search head specification's are:

• An x86 64-bit chip architecture.
  • 16 physical CPU cores, or 32 vCPU at 2Ghz or greater speed per core.
  • 12GB RAM.

See:

Reference hardware - Splunk Documentation

thank you, but I don't follow, you shared the minimum specifications and my question was why Splunk does not see the second CPU in our machines, I followed that link and don't see how to engage the other CPU, what am I missing?

0 Karma

Azeemering
Builder

Is it a x86 64-bit chip?

Is it hyperthreaded? Hyper-threading does not add cores as far as Splunk is concerned. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...