Splunk Enterprise

Which Splunk version is supported on AZURE platform/premises?

Ashwini008
Builder

We are planning to deploy our splunk enterprise into Azure Premises.

Which Splunk version is supported in Azure platform?Any relevant docs on the same?

Thanks 

Labels (2)

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk Enterprise version depends on operating system and hardware architecture. Splunk Enterprise version doesn't depend on onprem or cloud.

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.

Ashwini008
Builder

@thambisetty I am upgrading splunk to 8.0.6 version from 7.0.My current python version is 2.6.6.

As i read python 3.7 is compatible with 8.0.* version. So do i need to install python 3.7 on my latest splunk version 8.0.6 OR does python 3.7 comes embedded in splunk 8.0.6?

I read in few of the splunk community links that "Splunk Enterprise ships with its own bundled Python. In case, 8.0.x ships with Python 2.7 and Python 3.7 and no need to install python separately"

Could you please help me understand whether splunk 8.* comes with python 3 package?

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Ashwini008 

- Splunk has released Splunk Cloud and Splunk Enterprise versions 8.x to support the migration from Python 2 to Python 3.
- Splunk has migrated impacted features to Python 3.7, and versions 8.x include both the Python 2.7 and Python 3.7 runtimes, to help customers and developers transition Python in apps from Python 2 to Python 3. Splunk will remove the Python 2.7 runtime altogether in a future release.

As i read python 3.7 is compatible with 8.0.* version. So do i need to install python 3.7 on my latest splunk version 8.0.6 OR does python 3.7 comes embedded in splunk 8.0.6?

Splunk 8x comes with Python 3.7 embedded into it. so, we no need to install again.

Could you please help me understand whether splunk 8.* comes with python 3 package?

Yes, Splunk 8x comes with Python 3x packages. 

Please take a note about this scenario: lets say when we download and install free splunk7x on our laptops, we never needed to install python, because, splunk comes with its own python(2x).

in the same way, if we are downloading and installing Splunk 8x, it will include the python 3x inside. 

The only thing we need to take care is that, when you create any new apps/scripts with python, you have to create them using Python 3x, not python 2.

Ref - 

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.6/Python3Migration/ChangesEnterprise

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.6/Python3Migration/AboutMigration

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...