Splunk Enterprise

Where should we run Splunk JMX for tomcat addon

sandeepduppalli
Explorer

We have a Tomcat running and to collect JMX logs is it mandatory to have Heavy forwarder installed.?I know we cannot install JMX add-on for UF. Is there any alternative method other than having HF installed.?and catalina,localhost,and manager logs can be collected through UF right.?correct me if I am wrong

Labels (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

from installation guide  https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/JMX/Distributeddeployment it is said

Recommended deployment

While it is possible to use the add-on to poll remote JMX management servers, Splunk recommends installing this add-on on a heavy forwarder that is installed on the same host as the central JMX server. This deployment configuration simplifies your configuration because you can call the port locally, you do not need to use certificates, and you can use the Java version that is local to the machine.

based on that a HF is the correct place. I suppose that there are some python parts which needs HF instead of UF. Of course there are some ways to run python also on UF, but much better way is to use HF.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

sandeepduppalli
Explorer

If I have many tomcat instances running on different servers should I install Heavy Forwarder on all the servers?

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It’s up to you. It seems that some tasks are easier if those are local connections instead of remotes, but both are doable. If you have automation to install and manage HFS, then local installations are probably easier to manage in the long run. If not then centralized way could be easier as all configurations are in one place, even the first installation takes more effort.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

sandeepduppalli
Explorer

Thanks for your help. Last query, I am using UF on my client machine where Tomcat is installed and forwarding Tomcat logs to Splunk indexer and search head. How to make use of the Splunk add-on for Tomcat in this case. Do I need JMX URL here.? Should I make any configuration settings in add-on or it will just parse the logs with the defined sourcetype?

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes you are needing it on HF to access tomcat jmx remotely.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/Tomcat/Setup

just follow above instructions.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

sandeepduppalli
Explorer

Can we add multiple Tomcat URL's under the Tomcat add-on setup page.?How do we configure that?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...