Splunk Enterprise

What is meant by one user for the free version of Splunk?

stevecrow

Hi,

What is meant by "one user" for the free version of Splunk? I'm planning on one receiver at the moment, with 3-4 forwarders. I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Steve

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dmarling
Builder

Hi Steve,

The free license does not allow you to create multiple users, but if you are just trying it out the 30 day enterprise license does allow multiple users to be created. Once the free license expires the admin account will be the only account that functions. The comparison chart here: https://www.splunk.com/en_us/software/features-comparison-chart.html shows the differences between the different options.

Access Control you will see is not an option on Splunk Free.

If this comment/answer was helpful, please up vote it. Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

stevecrow

We are a small two man operation. Only one of us would ever be logged on at one time. Is the Splunk user interface Web based? So we can login from anywhere on the network? I was anticipating just using Splunk from the server console or RDP session.

Thank you again,
Steve

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, there is a web interface. You might want to go through the Search Tutorial, which will take you through the UI using a sample data set.

0 Karma

dmarling
Builder

Hi Steve,

The free license does not allow you to create multiple users, but if you are just trying it out the 30 day enterprise license does allow multiple users to be created. Once the free license expires the admin account will be the only account that functions. The comparison chart here: https://www.splunk.com/en_us/software/features-comparison-chart.html shows the differences between the different options.

Access Control you will see is not an option on Splunk Free.

If this comment/answer was helpful, please up vote it. Thank you.
0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

For more details, see About Splunk Free in the Splunk Enterprise Admin Manual. It says:

There is no authentication or user and role management when using Splunk Free. This means:

• There is no login. The command line or browser can access and control all aspects of Splunk Free with no user and password prompt.
  • All accesses are treated as equivalent to the admin user. There is only one role (admin), and it is not configurable. You cannot add more roles or create user accounts.
  • Searches are run against all public indexes, 'index=*'.
  • Restrictions on search, such as user quotas, maximum per-search time ranges, and search filters, are not supported.
  • The capability system is disabled. All available capabilities are enabled for all users accessing Splunk Free.
0 Karma

stevecrow

Thank you very much, this adds much more clarity to the situation.

0 Karma

stevecrow

We are a small two man operation. Only one of us would ever be logged on at one time. Is the Splunk user interface Web based? So we can login from anywhere on the network? I was anticipating just using Splunk from the server console or RDP session.

Thank you again,
Steve

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...