Splunk Enterprise

What is Best Practice to move data from one indexer to another

SplunkySplunk
Explorer

Hello
I have an on prem indexer which i want to shot down and move all his context to another indexer is Azure
What is the best practice for that ?

Thanks

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SplunkySplunk,

as you can find in https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.0/Indexer/Moveanindex#:~:text=You%20can%20move%20th....

the steps are the following:

• install on Azure the same version of your on-premise Splunk,
  • copy all the apps in the new enviuronment, with special attention to the ones containing indexes.conf files,
  • with a down Splunk (in both systems) copy the content of your SPLUNK_DB folder (containing indexes) in the relative folder in Azure,
  • restart Splunk on Azure.

If you have Linux both on on-premise and Azure, you could also copy the entire Splunk folder, so in this way you copy all the configurations.

If you have Windows, you have to install the new machine anche copy two folders:

• $SPLUNK_HOME\etc
  • the $SPLUNK_DB folder

One final hint, if possible, avoid Windows OS for production systems.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...