Splunk Enterprise

What could be causing Splunk Enterprise to re-index the same events every time a new one gets logged?

michaeler
Communicator

I recently took over as an admin for Splunk on one of my company's networks. We have 4 Forwarders and one enterprise instance. We recently updated our workstations and started getting large increases in events and exceeded our index by 8x everyday.

I recently monitored the data at different points in the day and realized every event is getting re-indexed every minute. I watched one time period grow from 2500 events to 250,000 by the end of the day. If i refreshed the search it would have an additional 1200 events every minute (roughly).

What could be causing Splunk to re-index the same events everytime a new one gets logged?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

can you provide inputs.conf.

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma

michaeler
Communicator

I'm not there and don't have it memorized but its something like this:

[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
start_from = newest
blacklist = 4648,7310
suppress_text = 1

[WinEventLog://Application]
disabled = 0
start_from = newest
blacklist = 4648,7310
suppress_text = 1

[WinEventLog://System]
disabled = 0
start_from = newest
blacklist = 4648,7310
suppress_text = 1

[perfmon]

disabled = 1

I've previously set "starts_from = oldest" and had the same issues.

0 Karma

michaeler
Communicator

Ignore the code numbers on the blacklist. I can't remember the specifics for each of those but I've blacklisted what contributes roughly 90% of all logs for each source.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...