Splunk Enterprise

Upgrade from RHEL 7 to RHEL 8 on version 8.0.2

splunkuser109
Explorer

Is there any documentation on safely upgrading splunk machines (master, searchhead, indexers) on splunk version 8.0.2 from RHEL 7 to RHEL 8 ?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

splunkuser109
Explorer

Thank you! What are some splunk commands I can use to verify that everything is working properly? I have checked the splunk service status on all the machines, the search function in the web UI, and ran the splunk show cluster-bundle-status to check the status of the indexer cluter.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

MC dashboards are a good starting point to check after update. Also do those apply xxx and rolling-restarts. 
You should have some standard metrics which shows the normal situation which you should use to validate current situation. 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How to upgrade your OS is a better question for the Red Hat community than the Splunk community.  Splunk does not offer guidance on how to upgrade the OS it runs on.

You will, of course, need to stop each Splunk instance so it's OS can be changed.  The order is not significant since you are not changing Splunk versions.  Just be sure to do one instance at a time and to put your indexer cluster (if you have one) into maintenance mode first.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

mdtoro
Explorer

Splunk isn't dependent on library versions of the OS?  Or, build any static libraries based on the OS?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk is dependent only on the kernel version.

---

mdtoro
Explorer

Any issues with the version of glibc?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk's system requirements documentation (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Installation/Systemrequirements#System_requireme...) mention OS kernels and a few caveats, but nothing about specific libraries.  From that I conclude there are no dependencies on libraries.

---
0 Karma

mdtoro
Explorer

Kernel and Posix threads (libpthread?)

Not sure how much the pthread library version matters.

0 Karma

splunkuser109
Explorer

Thanks for the input! How can we put the index cluster into maintenance mode? Do we just run the command from this document on the master node? https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.2/Indexer/Usemaintenancemode

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Yes those are correct commands to do it.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...