Splunk Enterprise

Universal forwarder for Linux is not forwarding some types of sourcetypes

Splunk_Ryan
Explorer

On my Linux server the universal forwarder and Splunk_TA_nix are installed, at least df and cpu are enabled in inputs.conf.

vi /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/local/inputs.conf

[script://./bin/df.sh]
interval = 300
sourcetype = df
source = df
index = os
disabled = 0

[script://./bin/cpu.sh]
sourcetype = cpu
source = cpu
#interval = 30
interval = 300
index = os
disabled = 0

When I search for this Linux server on Splunk, I get df logs. But cpu logs are missing

Top 10 Values Count %
df 44 1.224%

Could anyone advise? much appreciated. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Have you try to run this cpu.sh as user splunk on this server? There could be an issue with permission or other stuff.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Have you try to run this cpu.sh as user splunk on this server? There could be an issue with permission or other stuff.
0 Karma

Splunk_Ryan
Explorer

Thanks 

The cpu.sh was not running on the Linux server either as splunk or as root. It turned out that the cpu.sh has a dependency on sysstat package which I had not installed.

It is running now after sysstat was installed.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gordo32
Communicator

I ran into this problem and while the dependency for cpu.sh is to have sysstat installed, I also found that df.sh wouldn't parse correctly on Ubuntu until the gawk package was installed (mawk package was already present).

Gord T.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...