Splunk Enterprise

Unable to push shcluster bundles after upgrade- possible kvstore issue?

dtow1
Path Finder

I am unable to push shcluster bundles post an upgrade to 9.0.2 from 8.2.7. I have also completed the upgrade and migrated the KVstore without error and see the following expected settings:

serverVersion : 4.2.17

storageEngine : wiredTiger

The error I receive is:
"Error in pre-deploy check, uri=https://<HOST_NAME>/services/shcluster/captain/kvstore-upgrade/status, status=502, error=No error"

If I look in splunkd.log I get the following error for each attempt.
HttpClientRequest [2071959 TcpChannelThread] - Caught exception while parsing HTTP reply: Unexpected character while looking for value: '<'

The error from the actual command makes me think that there was an issue with the kvstore-upgrade that is just not showing.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

dtow1
Path Finder

Additional details:

When I attempt to do the apply shcluster-bundle, if I look on the target search head in:

In  web_access.log I can see the get requests:
GET /en-US/services/shcluster/captain/kvstore-upgrade/status?output_mode=json HTTP/1.1" 404 18843

In web_service.log I can see the error that the path is not found.

error:321 - Masking the original 404 message: 'The path '/en-US/services/shcluster/captain/kvstore-upgrade/status' was not found.' with 'Page not found!' for security reason

Is there any way to disable this check in the apply shcluster-bundle command? Any way to determine why this page does not exist?

Thanks for any help.

0 Karma

dtow1
Path Finder

One last piece of information, I've found that if I modify the url to include the port, it is accessible:
https://<HOSTNAME>:8089/services/shcluster/captain/kvstore-upgrade/status

So it looks like this check is possibly failing due to an issue with the validation script.

I attempted this because every reference to this and similar checks in the migration documentation uses this port.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.2/Admin/MigrateKVstore

Is this a bug in 9.0.2? Is it something that can be fixed?

I found that the URL is mentioned in /etc/system/static/splunkrc_cmds.xml

So I tried pre-pending the port to the relevant line:
<uri><![CDATA[/shcluster/captain/kvstore-upgrade/status]]></uri>
changed to:
<uri><![CDATA[:8089/shcluster/captain/kvstore-upgrade/status]]></uri>

Restarted splunk and retried deployment, but it didn't pick up that change. So it appears that it does not use this setting in the way I thought it did. (I've reverted since that file isn't supposed to be modified).

I'm at a loss though for how to get past this issue.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...