Splunk Enterprise

Timestamps and buckets

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please confirm something or correct me.

If I understand correctly, it's the event's _time that's the basis for bucket ageing (hot->warm->cold(->frozen)), right?

I understand that it's typically designed this way for collecting event which have monotonicaly "growing" time. But what would happen if my source (regardless of the reason) generated events with a "random" timestamp? One could be from an old past (several years, maybe?), another from the future and so on. Would it mean that I'd have a chance to roll the buckets after just one or two events because I'd have sufficiently old events or sufficiently  big timespan in case of hot buckets?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are correct that _time is used to put events into buckets.

Events with timestamps outside a specified range are put into "quarantine" buckets.  A quarantine bucket is a separate hot bucket that counts toward the maxHotBuckets limit.  The time range for quarantine is set by quarantinePastSecs and quarantineFutureSecs in indexes.conf.  I imagine it's possible for a quarantine bucket with a single event in it to eventually roll to warm.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are correct that _time is used to put events into buckets.

Events with timestamps outside a specified range are put into "quarantine" buckets.  A quarantine bucket is a separate hot bucket that counts toward the maxHotBuckets limit.  The time range for quarantine is set by quarantinePastSecs and quarantineFutureSecs in indexes.conf.  I imagine it's possible for a quarantine bucket with a single event in it to eventually roll to warm.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ahhh. That's the information lacking in the training 😉

Thanks for supplementing my knowledge 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...