Splunk Enterprise

Time slicing issue

manibattula

I have below query and it should gives result of time filter of last four hours (or) last 24 hours.

|makeresults |bucket _time span=1h|stats count by _time

But it giving only latest hour instead of 4 records for last four hours filter (or) 24 records for last 24 hours filter.

Kindly help us.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

makeresults by itself generates a single event with the current timestamp. Therefore, that event will fit into a single hour bucket. If you tell makeresults to generate multiple events, those events will have the same timestamp and you'll still have everything in a single bucket.

Please describe the problem you are trying to solve and we may be able to suggest a solution.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

manibattula

I need the time slicing here like

I want to see four event for span=1h in the last four hours filter .

Something like below

| bin _time span=1h | fields _time

result should be

_time

2020-04-29 10:00
2020-04-29 9:00
2020-04-29 8:00
2020-04-29 7:00

I want to get all the time span irrespective of count have null also,so I am trying to apply cross join using below "join max =0" once I got proper Time slicing

| makeresults | bin _time span=1h | fields _time | join max=0 [search index="us_west_prod_power_platform" sourcetype="spark:metric" metricName="HRTBT_LHIST_METRIC_DD" host="emr-prod-distributor" | spath output=osm_zone_id path=dimensions{2}.value | dedup osm_zone_id | fields osm_zone_id] | table _time, osm_zone_id

Kindly help us.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

makeresults by itself generates a single event with the current timestamp. Therefore, that event will fit into a single hour bucket. If you tell makeresults to generate multiple events, those events will have the same timestamp and you'll still have everything in a single bucket.

Please describe the problem you are trying to solve and we may be able to suggest a solution.

---
0 Karma

manibattula

Can you please let us know how to handle the above query getting each event with respect to span limit

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The current query does nothing. Please describe the real problem you are trying to solve.

---
0 Karma

manibattula

I need the time slicing here like

I want to see four event for span=1h in the last four hours filter .

Something like below

| bin _time span=1h | fields _time

result should be

_time

2020-04-29 10:00
2020-04-29 9:00
2020-04-29 8:00
2020-04-29 7:00

I want to get all the time span irrespective of count have null also,so I am trying to apply cross join using below "join max =0" once I got proper Time slicing

| makeresults | bin _time span=1h | fields _time | join max=0 [search index="us_west_prod_power_platform" sourcetype="spark:metric" metricName="HRTBT_LHIST_METRIC_DD" host="emr-prod-distributor" | spath output=osm_zone_id path=dimensions{2}.value | dedup osm_zone_id | fields osm_zone_id] | table _time, osm_zone_id

Kindly help us.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The timechart command will fill in missing time frames. Try

index="us_west_prod_power_platform" sourcetype="spark:metric" metricName="HRTBT_LHIST_METRIC_DD" host="emr-prod-distributor" 
| spath output=osm_zone_id path=dimensions{2}.value 
| dedup osm_zone_id | fields _time osm_zone_id
| timechart span=1h values(osm_zone_id) as osm_zone_id
| table _time, osm_zone_id
---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...