Splunk Enterprise

TCP ROUTING and Indexer Discovery- How to configure?

lrodriguez
Engager

Hello everyone! 

In this scenario i have one Heavy forwarder and one indexer cluster (of course the is a Cluster Manager over there). 

The HF have some inputs configured in this way (inputs.conf): 

[mi_input://List_Deployment_State]

index = endpoint
sourcetype = endpoint
_TCP_ROUTING = ixChabelaGroup

And the outputs were configured in this way (outputs.conf): 

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = ixChabelaGroup
defaultGroup = default-autolb-group

[tcpout:ixChabelaGroup]
server = 192.189.2.25:9997

As you can see the TCP_ROUTING is only sending data to one Indexer and we want to balance the data forwarding to the entire cluster. 

My question is: what would it happen if i enable the indexer discovery in the Heavy Forwarder?  as follows: 

[tcpout:idxc-forwarders]

indexerDiscovery = cluster1

useACK=true

[indexer_discovery:cluster1]

master_uri = https://192.189.2.26:8089

pass4SymmKey = MyUnhashedPasswd

There will be a conflict between the indexer discovery and the _tcp_routing declared? 

Or what is the proper way to configure the indexer discovery in my HF?

Thanks in advance for your support. 

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's not clear what will happen if _TCP_ROUTING references a name not in outputs.conf, but probably won't be what you want.  I suggest removing _TCP_ROUTING settings from all inputs.conf files unless there is a need for input-specific routing.  Then the settings in outputs.conf will control how data is sent to the indexers.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's not clear what will happen if _TCP_ROUTING references a name not in outputs.conf, but probably won't be what you want.  I suggest removing _TCP_ROUTING settings from all inputs.conf files unless there is a need for input-specific routing.  Then the settings in outputs.conf will control how data is sent to the indexers.

---

lrodriguez
Engager

What do you think if i keep the two configurations in the same stanza (indexer discovery and _tcp_routing) ?
It will cause any kind of conflict?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Indexer discovery and _TCP_ROUTING are not in the same stanza - they're not even in the same files.  Get rid of _TCP_ROUTING.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...